16 August 2008

Resolution kept...One year to go

Does anyone remember back when I asked for an ice cream making machine for my birthday? I had resolved not to buy any more ice cream, but instead to make it, savoring both the flavor and the effort of the process. Hopefully no one bought me a machine and is waiting until October, because my parents got me one and we just made chocolate ice cream! It was great fun, just enough work, and plenty of patience to wait for it to set.


It was a team effort, with my mamá y papá each doing their part to help me (ha! I actually helped them very little), and the $2 machine actually set the ice cream so fast we couldn't crank the paddles anymore after a few minutes! Not visible is the layer of frost forming on the outside of the pail. It was oh-so-tasty, just like a Wendy's frosty. Contrary to my Dad's pesimistic outlook, I fully believe I'll be able to keep this up for at least a year...or maybe I'll just give up ice cream altogether!
So if anyone wants to get together and have a blast with old-fashioned fun, come on over!

8 comments:

Katrina said...

There are raspberries in my freezer and soy milk in the fridge. Are you up for that challenge?

Anonymous said...

Special

Did you bring the icecrwam machine over to the twin cities?

There is cheese cake in my food cupboard and ready to be made.I read the directives and sometimes there are confusing! Are you up for the challenge?

Joanne said...

What!? Give up ice cream? How thoughtless!! After all we've taught you AND remember the $2. Oh, I see, it's not the best nutritional choice? OK...do what you must. I'll be watching to see your choice. Amor, mama

Special K said...

I am up for both challenges! Raspberry soy ice cream...cheesecake and ice cream...any kind of ice cream sounds good to me!

Julie said...

Okay, I'm in, I'll eat ice cream... so I'll help make it too! :)

YAY!

Skippy said...

Wait! I have a great idea. Why doesn't everyone come down to Texas and we'll all make ice cream? How about that challenge? Hahaha! What fun we would have, eh?

Anonymous said...

Oh Yeah China Doll and Special K

So good to see your parents today.
Katrina is exactly like her mom meanwhile Karla is a carbon print of her Dad,hahahahah.God is so amazing how God creates people.

I wish them a great time with you guys and a safe return to Wisconsin.I was jealous because I don't get to see my parents at all.So,you girls should have the best of your dad and mom

It was so great to see you in particular, Joanne! I had a big sign of relief knowing that I have met you both in person,too.

Hey Special, police are n't nice when they are ordered by the statusquo system to arrest people... it is not a fun experience ,so please, you and Christie should watch out!

But I also know that sometimes it feels good to stand up for what one believes in even if they are arrested and detained for a couple of hours or days,after all change has never been given on a platter of gold, right. Some of the greatest achievers in life were often arrested several times and detained for hours and days.The only challenge is that there is so much personal cost to bear although the common good has always triumph over the personal interest.

Sometimes, when arrests are politically or racially motivated, the intention is to intimidate and scare one so that they abandon their cause.

When the debate about the war actually was ranging on, I was taking a course on Ethics of War and Peace and it is exactly five years after.There is no doubt that that war has taken so much toll on human lives. I still don't understand why humanity fight wars instead of being or becoming instruments of dialogue and peace. All the money and resources used for that war could end poverty in America and just about two million dollars could end poverty in my village in Cameroon.

Indeed ,life is full of contradictions but we shall remain instruments of justice and peace where there is misunderstanding and breakdown in communication.

Best of luck to all of you

Yours sincerely

Jo-Nathan

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed the art of ice cream making for years but find that it can get really expensive. All the ingredients add up quickly. It is true, though, that nothing tastes better.