16 August 2008

Tikal

Wednesday morning we shuttled to the ancient Mayan ruins of Tikal. There you can climb and walk past at least 7 major temples, ranging from 25-60 meters high. We practically ran to get to the top of the first one before sunrise, and just barely made it. Luckily, we got a great show--yesterday's sun never did peak out behind all the fog covering the jungle. We then went much more calmly through the trails, seeing rubber trees and other flora. We hiked up the ladders and steep stone steps of various temples, and we saw spider monkeys and howler monkeys.











Honestly, I thought I would love it and I really just tolerated the second half of the tour. As Christie said earlier, once you've seen one ruin, you've seen them all. True, not false. Plus it was hot. Sitting-still-and-sweating hot. I was thrilled to get on the first bus out of there, though that did mean I had to depart Christie and Jess. They are on to Belize City, while I bused 4 hours to the lakeside town of Río Dulce. Tomorrow I will embark on a 2 hour boat ride to the beach town of Livingston, soak up some sun, and return to catch the last bus to the capital.

No comments: