16 August 2008

Heat Wave

Thursday morning I set off up the Río Dulce, a long river that empties into the Atlantic Ocean at the town of Lívingston. We first passed an old Spanish castle, and then we passed various mangroves and little huts on stilts. More than anything, I loved the wind in my hair and the sun on my arm. Yes, my right arm got burned a bit while the left did not. Lucky me. I re-realized, though, that I love life on the water. BY the water is simply too hot and humid, but once you're either IN the water or breezing by on TOP of it, life is good again.


When we got to the beach, we had a few hours to explore, so I walked along the beach until I found a spot relatively out of the way of leering eyes. The jungle comes right up to the water's edge, and what beach there is is covered in litter, but I got some rays and headed back to catch my bus.

About that. The boat was supposed to get back to town by 3 p.m. and the last bus left at 3:30. Sounded perfect. But the boat actually left Livingston at 3 p.m. and we had troubles with water in the gasoline, causing us to arrive at about 4:20. Bummer. But I went and checked, and it turns out that the bus hadn't even arrived yet! I left for Guatemala City at 5:30 and rolled in at 11:30, resting one last night before flying home.

No comments: