01 August 2008

Weaving class!

After my morning classes today I headed off to Trama Textiles, a women's cooperative that provides fair wages for their weavings and their teaching. I had gone once to just check out the processes, and I loved it so much that I decided I MUST weave a scarf on a back-strap loom! They say it takes about 10 hours, and I'm not realy sure I have that much time during the week before 5 p.m. but I will MAKE time because it's so cool!

I began the process with debanando, or combining two threads into one ball of yarn. The individual threads are too thin, and this process also allows you to combine colors if you wish. You put the skeins of thread on these spinning wooden contraptions and wind away! It took me 1.5 hours just to debanar 4 colors of string, and I took a break to take a picture with Carlita, the cute little snot-nosed girl running about the shop. She's the daughter of Oralia, who is one of my teachers.

I then moved on to urdir the thread around some wooden pegs, making a certain criss-cross pattern that you need to put it on the loom. For one scarf you need 180 threads (each one is really doubled), and this process took me another hour. I actually went pretty fast because I got a rhythm down, thanks to all my sweatshop work!


I then began the tedious process of amarrando el telar, or setting up the loom. You first put each end on a wooden peg and hang it like a hammock from one end and the other end you strap around your butt. On one end you have to separate each individual thread and group them into groups of 20. Then you do the same to the other end, only not grouping them in groups of 20. THEN, you have to prepart the via dura, or the strong string. In this picture (that is of my teacher working on another girl's scarf), you can see that she pulls the strong orange nylon thread between each string, alternating up and down in your hand, and then she puts it on the small wooden pole. I didn't take pictures of myself doing this step because I was concentrating too hard! I didn't have the right tension at first, so I had to start this step over, but in the end Oralia said it would work and I felt good about having done it myself instead of having it done for me!

All this took 4.5 hours and they had to close. So technically I haven't actually eevn learned how to weave yet, but I will on Tuesday and then I'll only have 7-8 hours to go!

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I am so jealous! I always have wanted to learn to weave. The closest I ever got was making potholders from stretchy loops when I was just a kid. I'm very anxious to see your finished work. Love, Mom

Skippy said...

Ooooh! I remember those potholders as I made them too. They were fun! I will be anxious to see the end result as well!
love you too mi sobrina,
tia

Skippy said...

Who is Jonathan from the post about being old? Age is a curious thing for sure - sort of like viewing the glass as half empty or half full. It is most certainly one of those things that, as is beauty - it is in the eye of the beholder.

Anonymous said...

why karla, now you have a craft to teach your art class! Yo quiero verlo!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirl


Yea, you are absolutely right. That is a profound thought.I learned about that when I was in High School reading Romeo and Juliet, and often one forgets to apply.

Thanks for that King Solomon's wisdom "... is in the eyes of the behold".



Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Hello Joanne


I am amazed how Special K does all these things! You probably prepared her very well for life's adventures.Pat on your back, too.

Even if you can't weave a thread, you have certainly woven all these creative energies and skills into her life and she is shinning like the stars

A NOBLE WOMAN GIVES BIRTH TO A NOBLE DAUGHTER . lIKE MOTHER LIKE DAUGHTER,I am pretty sure


Thanks

Jonathan