06 August 2008

A little bit of everything

Here are some of the pictures I've taken in the past few days:

In school, the 2nd graders learned about electricity and circuits by trying to light three light bulbs with a battery and some wire. Lessons I learned:
Kids can't share.
Kids who can't share cry.
Karla will never be a 2nd grade teacher!

Christie is wrapping it up with all her kids and their oral hygiene lessons. Having handed out toothbrushes and toothpastes, she now regularly brushes with them after snack-time. It really is impressive how the teachers have kept up the teeth-brushing every day! So for all those who wondered whatever happened to our 100+ pounds of toothpaste and brushes, they made it into the hands of kids and teachers alike, and will continue to do so for at least another year!
Because another volunteer left today, the school had a farewell ceremony for the three of us yesterday. They first sang the school anthem, Queremos Paz y Libertad (we want peace and liberty). Then each grade presented a song or a speech, along with cards for each of us. It was so cute! At the end, I got to give hugs to over 200 kids, which took awhile, but was endearing!

Yesterday at lunch time, we had every single member of our family present at the table! I don't think this has happened since I got here, so I took a picture. Literally one minute later, the doorbell rang and ended the perfect moment! Clockwise you see me, then a new girl Sarah, then Julio the
long-term resident from the capitol (2 years!), Carlos and his recently-arrived girlfriend Sarah, then Jenny and Quique. That's right, we now have a Karla, a Carlo, and 2 Sarahs! Yikes! Bikes! Oh, and that's Tofi, our dog who eats more bread at every meal than I do!

At lastly, after 13 hours or work, I finished my scarf! It was a little anti-climactic and I just wanted to be done, so I think the quality dwindled at the end. It always amazes me the rollercoaster of emotions as one undertakes a project. First excitement, then disappointment, then boredom and apathy, and lastly that feel-good feeling of knowing you made something all by yourself from start to finish!
And one last picture with Carlita because she's just so cute and actually smiling in this one!

6 comments:

Joanne said...

The scarf looks WONDERFUL. I hope you won't miss it if it just happens to get left behind. Love.

Special K said...

Nice try. I thought of giving it to you, but it would be like giving up my firstborn! Well, probably not, because I'm pretty sure I'll love to give you my kids!

Anonymous said...

You said it so well. Your Mom will always have all the kids because she gave birth to you first and before you ever give birth to your own kids, you are first and foremost a kid,hahahah.
You were so intelligently logical and nicely reasonable in that response. I was trying to see if I get it ,too.
May be a kid is more endearing than a scalf, right!
First thoughts are good just as first instincts and impressions. May be she will have it by the time you are back.

Joanne said...

When did you say those kids are coming over? I'll be glad to have them.....one or two at a time.

And Tell Christie to update her blog, please.

Joanne said...

I think that last request of mine was a bit bossy sounding so I will rephrase: Would you sweetly suggest to Christie that she update her blog because her fans are now using up your space with requests. Beg if you have to, Please! Mom S

Special K said...

Will do, Mom, but we're now in vacation mode again, first to Antigua and volcan Pacaya, then to the caves of semuc champey, then the mayan ruins of Tikal, and lastly the garifuna village of Livingston. I don't know how much time we'll have to update blogs this week!