04 August 2008

Market Day

Sunday brought us to the lovely town of Chichicastenango, home of the country's biggest market. For almost three hours we wandered the crowded aisles, row after row of stall after stall of clothing, jewelry, wooden masks and instruments, journals and postcards, tortillas and chicken. We bought plenty of gifts for ourselves and for others, and we left when our money ran out!

The church steps were crowded with vendors of candles, flowers, chickens, and who knows what else! The aisles were crowded with Guatemalans and foreigners alike, carrying all sorts of great stuff like this basket full of chickens!

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Did anyone but me think of the Bible story of Jesus throwing out the money changers from the temple? I wonder what He would do there? Mom

Joanne said...

I do love all the bright colors!

Special K said...

I didn't think of that here, but I definitely thought of that in Colombia during Holy Week. It was all I thought about, actually, as I would go from procession to procession, church to church and see all the materialism and consumerism that was consuming the attitude of the week.

Joanne said...

That is so sad. Of course, we let the "Easter Bunny" convince us to buy chocolate, etc. But some of us would do that anyway. :-)

Special K said...

I think the chocolate cross is the perfect way to think about the mood of the week...one bite at a time!