04 August 2008

A Day at the Beach

Yet again, Christie and I decided not to go out dancing on Friday night, which turned out great for us both. She went to bed at 8 p.m. and I played scrabble with Julio, Carlo and Jenny. Due to spanish being our second languages, Carlo and I were granted use of a dictionary, allowing us to take 1st and 2nd place, respectively.

Saturday morning we left for the beach around 9 a.m. We were told that it was 2.5 hours away, giving us plenty of tanning time (or shading time, as Christie chose). False, not true. We arrived at the beach after 4 long hours of chicken bus rides, ready for some waves. Amazingly, it wasn't touristy at all, to the extent that I don't think some of the people on the beach had ever seen a pasty white person before! At least, the adolescent boys hadn't, and they oh-so-casually meandered to where I had previously been tanning in private. Christie gave them a good tongue-whipping and I tanned in relative peace for the remainder of the hour I spent soaking in the sun.

Before I burned, I decided to call it a day and we ate an unimpressive, though expensive, lunch at a beachfront comedor. I had to cover the head and tail fins of my fish so Christie could eat her chicken in peace!

After a total of 3 hours in the beach town of Tulate, we boarded a bus back to Xela. Though it went insanely fast on the roads, to the extent that it flew over the speedbumps, it then stopped for half an hour in two separate towns, bringing our daily travel time to 8.5 hours. Some might say 3 hours on the beach isn't worth it, but it was--if not for the glorious sun, then just to get to see a town well off the beaten gringo path!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Special K

That fish is very large.
Baked fish and plaintain is one of the typical Cameroon meals.I like it a lot.

I am an expert in it preparing it.I prep this from time to time ,and it is spicy and very delicious.

In Cameroon, people baked that by the road side around the University for Students.

So if you did not enjoy that one, then I have a special one waiting for you right here in the States!

Jo nathan

Joanne said...

That fish scares me. Did you really eat it? Your Grandpa would have loved it.

Special K said...

Ooh, that fish does sound good. I like to eat some kinds of fish, but I will never prepare it for the horrid smell it leaves behind! I do miss spices in my food--Quique can't eat spicy food so I don't often get that kick!

And yes, Mom, I did eat that fish. It tasted pretty good, but it was just a lot of work to pick around all those bones!