15 March 2007

Aguacero

Yesterday I woke up and it was raining fairly hard. I walked to school and it was raining lightly. After periods 2-5 of no rain, it begain to seriously pour.

If I were in a school in the states, I might have stepped in a puddle on the way into the multi-story building or I may have seen the rain outside my window, but it wouldn't really have affect my day.

Here, however, the weather dictates which school activities can occur. The roofs on all the one-story classroom buildings are tin or ceramic tile, so when it pours it is virtually impossible to hear anything else. All the p.e. classes are outside, so the students just huddle under an awning and talk about physical fitness. Because walking from one class to the next involves going outside and wading through the numerous puddles and streams that have developed, students arrive wet, cold, and unfocused. Not that it matters, because they can't hear you or each other anyways so they just do bookwork. All the extracurricular sports are cancelled. And no one can wait to get home to crawl into bed to watch a movie with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.

Except my room is also tin-roofed, so I can't hear the t.v.! So a book it was, and a welcome reason to lie in bed and relax.

How have we in the states made it so easy to be independent of weather and nature, and why do we act so inconvenienced when it does manage to change our lifestyle a bit? Why not embrace it as a much-needed change of pace and an opportunity to do something we would otherwise not make time for?

4 comments:

Katrina said...

You're not supposed to be watching TV anyway!

Special K said...

It's not my fault! I have to! Sadly, I have watched a shameful number of movies/NatGeo in the past few days as I finish this stupid beaded bracelet.

shoogoo said...

Special K, as you know we as mankind are always trying to take control of our envirnments. Whether it be the weather or our exposure to it. I personally am very greatful for central heating. i hate to thing I would have to huddle around the fireplace when the temp. got to -9 this past Feb.
It's something the Lord has placed with in us. To create. To make things better. To ask the question: "How can I improve on this." If we did not try, then we would be plagued by malaria, polio, cholera or other infectious diseases, instead of cancer, heart disease or other plights of aging. Continue to strive to make things better for people. It is a noble pursuit.

Christie said...

Wise words my dear. I need to recommend the movie "El hijo de la novia" from Argentina to you. It was the best movie I have seen in a long long time. I even cried in Spanish class!