07 July 2008

Spelunking and Sickening Consumerism

Sunday morning we awoke and went to some nearby caves on our way out of town. Kevin ended up paying for most of the day, but we would have paid anyway for the awesome tour through the caves. The path ends after about 300 meters, but with a guide we continued for another 400 meters or so through small openings, huge rooms, over rocks and up and down slippery inclines, thouroughly dirtying our clothes and shoes. More than the dirt was the sweat, though, because there was absolutely no ventillation in the caves. Normally they are much cooler than the outdoors, but because there is only one opening, it was humid and hot, and it lacked oxygen the further in you got. My lungs were really feeling it by the time we turned around, but it was definitely worth it. I guess the longest expedition was for 4 days, with oxygen and ropes, and they still haven`t found the end. It was pretty cool.

Kevin then drove us to Comayagua where he dropped us off to catch a bus to the capital, Tegucigalpa. We arrived too late for the bus to El Salvador, but too early to go bed (yes, even for us 3 p.m. is too early). We ate lunch and then went to (gasp!) the mall. There we found internet, ice cream, a grocery store with bread and jelly to accompany Eli`s peanut butter, and a movie theater. There we watched the oh-so-cute Wall-E, an amazing movie that makes you fall in love with two robots falling in love using nothing but two words. Christie cried. I`m shocked, shocked!

Before I end this post let me try to express how disturbing it is to go to a mall in a country where very few people speak English and see almost every store with an English name. There is the SportLine, Blessings, Kid Zone, and many more that should be in Spanish, in my opinion. They`re not chains, but just people trying to be more like the U.S. It makes me sick.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

I can't believe you saw Wall-E before me!

Special K said...

Me neither! But Elizabeth and I saw a poster for X-files: quiero creer, and I´m pretty sure you´ll see that one before we do because she´s going back to the states and XT doesn´t want to see it. Pity, but I know it´ll be great when I see it!

Katrina said...

A commercial for it came on today and I had to dive for the remote to change it quickly. I hate previews because most of them give away the plot nowadays!

Anonymous said...

"Before I end this post let me try to express how disturbing it is to go to a mall in a country where very few people speak English and see almost every store with an English name. There is the SportLine, Blessings, Kid Zone, and many more that should be in Spanish, in my opinion. They`re not chains, but just people trying to be more like the U.S. It makes me sick."

Karla, you are right to feel that way.It is a problem all in most parts of the world.In fact, it tells us how much many countries in the world value others and look up to them! May be for the best, who knows. Perahps, the best way for them is to have it both ways for the sake of diversity than completely undermine their own heritage.In Cameroon, we have English and French in some parts , and we are yet to have one of the Cameroon languages.Can you imagine that?

That was a good observation and I relate with that,too.

As I see more and more of your photos and travels, I only realise the more that you are one of the biggest adventurist I have known.I did n't know you can dare things. Look at the photo in ,which you are hanging on that tree sleeping down toward the lake,Oh my God,I shouted ,what is Karla doing,hahhaha!!!!! It is fun and risky too but I know you are a great swimmer.I can dare that way because I can't swim, too bad for me!

You are so confident and bold.God is on your side ,lady.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing all the great experiences,photos and stories.There are very inspiring to me.