03 July 2008

Glorious Beach Time

On Wednseday morning, we embarked upon a tour of Punta Sal, a nearby point where we would snorkel and tan. On a tiny motor boat we went down river to the ocean, where we had to get out and push the boat over the sand! From there it was a 45 minute boat ride to La Playa Cocolitos, a clean beautiful beach filled with coconut trees. We hiked along two different trails, seeing crabs, lizards, snakes, a hummingbird, and howler monkeys.

Apparently we were too close for monkey comfort because one brave soul hurled his feces down at Elizabeth´s head, successfully hitting his target! It was solid, though, so no damage was done to her lovely locks. What a great story, though! All the good stuff happens to Eli...

When we arrived at the end of the trail, we were picked up in boat and driven to where we began snorkeling. I must say I am pretty spoiled by the Galápagos, but I did see some wavy feather-like coral I´d never seen before. The water wasn´t very clear (though it was wonderfully warm), so we made our way to the beach for lunch. After that we took naps in the hammocks strung between palm trees and later took another dip in the ocean. It was incredibly tranquil, and we almost kept on top of the SPFing.

After a choppy and at times frightful boat ride back to Tela, we caught a bus to La Ceiba, a more happening beach town 2 hours away.

Here I must confess that we were overcome with the longings of familiarity and cultural understandings--we had dinner at Pizza Hut. I broke all vegetarian leanings with the Paypayrohnee Lohvairs pizza, and I loved every bite!

We rode into town and found a nice hotel (living in luxury at 6 bucks each), walked around, and went to bed in the most miserable hot room I have ever been in. Eli and XT didn´t seem to mind, but I slept in the lawn chair outside for a few hours until it was cool enough to go back into bed! Amazingly, I only got one bug bite all night!

No comments: