22 July 2008

Santiago surprise

Sunday morning Christie and I set off across the lake for the smaller town of Santiago where we were told they have awesome earrings. We found none worth our purchase, but I did find some awesome artwork, and I bought some for myself and for a few lucky friends!

Just when Christie and I thought nothing more in this country could surprise us, we were proven wrong. We passed a dead fish floating on the water and just as all the passengers shouted and pointed it out, the boat lurched to the side to circle around it. I really didn´t understand what we were doing until I saw the guy with the bucket catch it. Apparently it would make someone a great dinner, regardless of what disease probably killed it! Gotta love Guatemala.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Yay artwork! No matter where I have ever been and bought souvenirs, I have always wished I'd bought more art. I still think of the painting I passed up from the art school in Hailar, and the prints I liked at Piccadilly square. Art is better than jewelry. Although, some could argue that jewelry is just another form of art....