27 July 2008

Jesus for President


Friday night I decided not to go salsa dancing because I was incredibly cold and I was in the middle of an incredible book. Jesus for President: politics for ordinary radicals, written by Shane Claiborne, reveals how the current (and past and future) political systems and candidates are a far cry from the kingdom of God and from the political system desired by God. The volunteer from whom I got the book (many thanks to her mom!) explained that his first book, The Irrisistible Revolution, was what ultimately led her to become a Christian.

Anyway, the book starts with an in-depth look at Old Testament political systems, how and why they were commanded, and how and why they were repeatedly broken. He then moves to Jesus and explains with reference after reference how Jesus was a political radical and never taught anything other than enemy-love. Highly critical of the past and current war, Claiborne offers hope of how we could be, rather than just being critical and negative.

"By disarming Peter, Jesus disarmed all soldiers." For all our holy wars and bringing freedom to people by killing millions, we sure are a far way from where Jesus wants us to be. More than ever, I believe so strongly in pacifism and not returning violence with violence, that I cried repeatedly over how unchristianly my own country has acted for generations, all in the misused name of God.

The book also encourages making your own stuff and growing your own food when possible. So among other changes I hope to make, I have decided (after many guilty trips to McDonalds, Wendy's, and the ice cream truck) that I will make my own ice cream once I get back to the states instead of buying it. A small step, but an important one. That said, does anyone want to buy me an ice cream-making machine (birthday's coming up in October...)?

Actually, I'd rather everyone who reads this blog to read the book rather than buy me stuff!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I'M READING THAT TOO! HOW COOL IS THAT!?!?!?

Special K said...

So cool! Don't you just love it?!?

Julie said...

I do... but I'm only like a fourth of the way through, so don't tell me how it ends... HAHAHAHAHA! :) Love you!