30 April 2007

Tradiciones del Campo

This past weekend I had quite a few rural country experiences. Saturday I went to Otavalo, a town 2 hours from Quito that has a huge mercado artesanal in which the Otavaleños sell their traditional clothing, lots of jewelry and paintings and wood carvings and such. It's famous and all, and everyone says you must go, but honestly the stuff was exactly the same as what you can get in the mercado artesanal de Quito (because they all come down to Quito to sell their goods). The only difference was the sheer density of people speaking quichua instead of Spanish, which was pretty cool to hear. But while I can now saw I went, I saw, and I conquered, in hindsight I would have rather not spent 4 hours on a bus for no reason! But I did buy lots of gifts, realising that my time is almost up here, so my few faithful readers should be thankful I went!


On Sunday I went with Jairo and Monica to a town called Quinche, about 45 minutes from Tumbaco. Jairo's dad was born and buried there, and they knew of a typical, popular restaurante, El Rancho, that serves cuy. Cuy, dear friends, is guinea pig. But deep fried and crispy, it is lunch! So, yes, if you zoom into this fine picture of me you will see the little claw sticking out of the chunk of meat I'm eating. I shouldn't say chunk, because it must have been a scrawny little guy for the noticeable lack of meat it had! But I must say I liked it better than steak or other red meats. Not as much as chicken, though. It kinda tasted like chicken, but it's rubberier. Anywho, I also tried Güitig, the popular natural sparkling water they make here, and I confirmed the fact that I don't like carbonation in my water. Tastes funny.


In the late afternoon I went up to Quito for the Book Week exposition that was basically a bunch of bookstores selling their kids' books. Unfortunately, Trin, they all had words. And right as I got there it started pouring, so we all were stranded inside for about 45 minutes. I ran into the physics/math teacher from BSQ who was there with his wife and daughter and his parents from England, and luckily they gave me a ride back down to the ecovía (it was over 100 stairs to get up to the park). But before I descended back into the valle, they invited me up for coffee, and get this--they had mini chocolate easter eggs, too! Cadbury, straight from England! What a great night, no?! It was really pleasant to chat with them, and I got to practice my spanish with his ecuatorian wife, so that was bien chévere.

And today I began my last week of student teaching! Tomorrow is a public holiday (international workers' day), so I wish you all a relaxing break and encourage you to find and join a rally for immigrants' right! I wish I could!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey "K" asi que te gusto el cuy. Hummmmm Very long time ago I do not get one, It is a popular dish in the Andes. I had ones when I used to visit my grandparents' farm in the mountains, my aunt makes the best cuyes in the andes, and she got for me the big and fat ones to satisfy my appetite, served with those varieties of potatoes from the Andes and a spicy and hot red sauce made with achiote. Ohhh what a feast I had. Nice picture of you eating your cuy ha ha haaaaa.
J.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karla. This is Jean Poppe. I loved the picture of you eating the guinea pig! Have you tried monkey yet? It seems like you have really done a lot of things in Ecuador. Too bad your time is almost ending. I was just reading a journal that one of the ladies I went to Ecuador with kept from 27 years ago. She described the mountain roads so aptly. They seemed so dangerous then--hope they have improved now.

The lady that cleans my room at school is from Quito. Her first name is Lela--don't know her last. I'd like to share your blog with her if you don't mind. She is trying to learn English and doing very well at it. She misses her family (parents) but wants to stay in the states. Her husband's family lives here.

Skippy said...

Oaky, so i must say that you eating guinea pig somewhat reminds me of me eating frog legs with their little toe bones! And as far as being better than red meat - well I would have to disagree on that one - but red meat is my livelyhood so? And the sparkling and/or carbonated water - oh Karla - it is soooo good! Just add a bit of lime and retry it!

Skippy said...

oops - i spelled Okay wrong - so sorry! Guess I didn't spell check! Probably others spelled wrong as well, but i'm sure you get the point!