14 April 2007

Popayán, Take Two

I spent all day Saturday on a bus to Popayán because they say it's not safe to travel by night. The scenery was fantastic--I will never get bored with mountains! However, I arrived very stiff and anxious to move. After many typical delays, I arrived at 10 p.m. I knew there was a procession again, because Popayán is the town famous for them (though I still don't know what there is to celebrate on Saturday), but I assumed I had missed it for arriving so late. I was told that the clubs would be open, though, so I showered and got ready for some salsa. Well, it turns out that the procession had JUST started and went by the exact place I intended to go! So I stood on the surb and got to watch the whole thing, and it was in fact more impressive than other towns' due to the quality of the garments/robes, the coordination of the statue carriers, and the music (though in all towns the song "Yesterday" was exceptionally popular).

And once the procession passed us, I and a few others headed into the bar where they played pure salsa all night long! Again, not much spinning, but I loved every minute of it and ended up chatting with a few students, girls included, which is really quite a blessing. There doesn't seem to be a lack of guys interested in chatting up the gringa, but it's seriously hard to make female acquaintances, yet alone true friends! But Ana Maria is studying PoliSci and is working on her thesis, and I really enjoyed all of their company! However, I didn't get back to the hostal unti lquite late, which made my sunrise plans quite difficult.

Fear not, I did muster the guster to WAKE up, but it was cloudy/rainy, so I didn't have to get up until around 7:30. I had seen an iglesia cristiana near the bus terminal and was bound and determined to do Easter up right. I assumed they would start at either 8 a.m. or 9 a.m. but ended up a little late--8:15. Incredibly enough, the first service started at 8:30!!! His mercies really are new every morning! Those 15 minutes were just enough to get pan y café and I was already filled with the Easter joy I know and love! The worship was equally refreshing and encouraging, and the message was uplifting, yet convicting. I never once had one of those "whoa, wait a minute" moments that I seem to get in all other christian churches' doctrines or practices here, but really felt connected to the other believers. And after 2.5 hours, it ended and the focus was, in fact, on Jesus's resurrection and not on anything else! I left to gather my things and head for the border, with a refreshed spirit and a renewed love for Colombia!

No comments: