28 February 2007

Which day is actually Carnaval?

Maybe Tuesday, not really sure. But I had off again, so I made pancakes in the morning. Now, the skillet was slanted and had not the nice non-stick coating I rely upon, so honestly, the pancakes sucked. I’m ashamed, Dad, but I was seriously limited. They said they enjoyed them, nonetheless, and I just hoped lunch would turn out better. I didn’t really expect it to, because pancakes are one of my specialties, but I relied on Eli’s Thai Peanut Sauce to save the day. And save the day it did! After chopping and mixing (using a wee bit too much pepper, but not painfully too much!) AND cleaning the chicken meat off the bone (quite a shock for those of us who grew up on skinless, boneless breasts!), I had everything ready. The boys showed up from the tienda and we all ate together a lovely lunch. And they all loved it! Not just required compliments, but disbelief at how good it was and persistence at getting the recipe. Crazy, I tell you. And Monica’s favourite thing was the rice noodles. She couldn’t believe that there were noodles that weren’t wheat! To each his own, I guess. And my favourite part were the peanut butter cookies with Hershey’s kisses on top that I made for dessert! Can you believe it, Mom, that I held off on opening those until today?! That’s over a month! And I didn’t actually have a recipe, so again I relied on Eli’s 1:1:1 recipe, only, I couldn’t really remember what three ingredients they were (pb, sugar, flour?) and ended up adding an egg and some milk, but the real miracle is that they didn’t burn! I think the heat was actually pretty low because they were in there for at least 20 minutes, but uy! were they good! After that spectacular accomplishment, I took a nap, read, and yep, watched more t.v. What a day.

No comments: