14 February 2007

¡Feliz Día del Amor y la Amistad!

First, how much do we love that friendship love is celebrated just as passionately as romantic love here? [A lot.] Because that means that I got a box of chocolates from Monica! We'll share, don't worry.

Second, how amazing is Christie?! [Super amazing!] Not only is she the first person to send me real mail, but it included chocolate (and a most hilarious card) AND it arrived on the exact date its contents are meant to celebrate! I can't even make that happen in the states and she shipped internationally to a country that apparently has been having postal strikes recently!! Increíble, pana!

Third, how horrible is it that I can't enjoy any of the chocolates because I can't taste nor smell anything and I've been getting waves of nausea sporadically thoughout the day? [Pretty horrible.] There were also a few moments where I really thought I was going to pass out, too, one of which was during the meeting I had with my U of M supervisor! I don't like this south american version of a cold, not one bit! I went to bed last night at 8:30 because that's about when the power went out from the awesome storm we had pass over. (By the way, the headlamp makes everyting significantly easier than a flashlight, though washing my face with it on was a bit tricky!) I doped myself up, slept sporadically and restlessly, and awoke loopy (not quite as severe as the nyquil incident of '06) at 7 a.m. Lucky for me there were no classes today because of parent-teacher conferences, but I had a 10:30 appointment at a nearby school that follows the U.S. and A.P. curricula. I thought it would be a tour and info session, but it was pretty much an interview! I made it clear that I wouldn't be interested for the next year, but the H.R. guy said that was fine because they won't have any science openings until '08-'09, but that I should send him my resumé anyway. How crazy is that?! Either way, it was an interesting morning, but I was wiped out by the walk to and from the school and still had to go to BSQ for conferences. I didn't actually sit in on any because they're having some serious drama with student suspensions and angry/concerned parents, so I just stayed clear until my meeting with Jim, my GST supervisor.

In other bad news, the two bug bites I got yesterday from foolishly wearing a skirt (though I was told the nylons would prevent bites, someone else told me today she thinks they actually attract bugs!) have swollen up to frighteningly ridiculous mountains on my legs. No joke. The one is a typical quarter-sized welt, but the other one on the top of my shin seriously looks like there's a golf ball under my skin! It's nasty.

All that considered, I think it's for the best that I have no valentine with whom to celebrate today, because I'm all scratchy and coughy and sniffly! So I'll try out my new Sinutab nighttime cold pills and look forward to tomorrow. As Lazar put into perspective: tomorrow is the real day to celebrate--all the chocolate goes on sale!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep an eye on those bites, and get better quickly, mi hija. Lo siento mucho que tu eres miserible.

Con amor,
Mama y Papa

Love Lazar's perspective.

Christie said...

Wow look at mom sorensen's spanish! I'm a planner. its what I do

Tim said...

Pobrecita! However, I am fully amused! Keep up living it up.

Katrina said...

Still sick? Or did you just fall into a black hole or something?