25 January 2007

lost, tired, bored

Yesterday went well during school, though I am thoroughly bored with my first (of two) weeks of observations. I just want to start teaching already! I did, however, learn quite a bit from watching year 8's Spanish class (not even close to my teaching subject area, but it helps pass the time!).
After school, I set off for that elusive mountain trail. I followed the directions to leave my subdivision and then turn off on the path. So I started up a steep dirt road, passing some shacks, some stray dogs, and a few people (whom I greeted in Spanish, not English! Hooray!). I progressed slowly due to the lower concentration of oxygen, but eventually rounded the first sway-back of the road. Only 25 minutes after leaving my house, I reached a barbed wire fence. not wanting to break rules and intrude where I was unwanted, I began to descend, only to be chased by one of the dogs from the house down below! I was running and quite worried, but eventually I must have left the dog's territory, because he went on back home. When I passed people again (10 minutes later), I enquired about the existence of a path and the presence of the barbed wire fence, and she told me that was just so the cattle didn't go all the way down the road! I was too tired to ascend again, and after relaying my story, it turns out that road is not the right road at all! Blast! Maybe tomorrow? Third time's the charm, right? Either way, it's good to be exercising again. I've become quite sedentary as of late.

After cleaning myself up a bit, I went out to a posh Italian restaurant with some of the other teachers, later followed by a British pub, and didn't end up getting home until 2 a.m.! While it was fun, and I am learning an enourmous amount about Great Britain's culture, language, and history, I am sick and tired of speaking English!

Today was fine, though relatively boring. I can only handle so much CNN en español, but unfortunately, it rained all day today. Instead of the normal 1-2 hour rains or drizzles, it has been raining steadily since 2 in the afternoon! It made for a nice nap, the sound of the rain hitting my roof, but I'm going stir crazy!
Other bad news: they don't wear skirts here, especially not to salsa dance, and not in the valley because of the mosquitos and no-see-'ums that have bitten most of the surface area on my ankles and feet! So much for half my wardrobe. At least Monica told me BEFORE I left the house, so I changed before sacrificing my legs to the invisible buggers!

No comments: