26 May 2007

Southern Ecuador y Perú

To ease any fears those of you who read this blog may have, Amy and I are completely safe. We started with two days in Quito, then had a lovely 13 hour busride to Celica, in the southern mountains, and then a very authentic, bumpy 35 minute ride in the back of a pick up truck to Cruzpamba where we stayed in a resort-like house that isn't actually open to the public yet. We made cake in a traditional stone oven and ate caldo de gallina, with the chicken claw floating abut in the bowl. Yum. From there we hiked through just about every farmer's crops and forests, rode horses into the evening, swam in the pool, had a photo shoot (don't ask, very weird), spent nearly an entire day in over 10 different cars, trucks, death cabs, and buses. That day we walked through a petrified forest and took a tour of a gold mine, as well as try the local soup specialty, repe. The next day we travelled less, walked more, and went swimming in some natural pools/waterwalls as well as visit some stone formations made by volcanic eruptions.

We were excited to leave Walter, the uninformed tour guide and strike off on our own. We headed for the Peruvian border, crossed just fine, and easily got transportion to Piura. From here we were going to head to the beach and just beach hop for the next three days, but the town of Paita one hour away is not, in fact, a tourist beach, but rather a fishermen's beach. So back to Piura we went where we saw all the plazas and monuments and got on a buseta for Máncora, one of the most famous tourist beaches. After many lies and tricks and many frustrating minutes of waiting, we arrived in Máncora and spent the whole next day laying on the beach and soaking in the sun. Ah, t'was great, and I didn't burn at all, and Amy just a little bit. The next day we headed to a nearby mud pool, Poza de Barro, where we soked in the hot springs, made mud face masks, and became wooly mammoths upon leaving the waters (only the pics can describe how gross we were!). From there we headed to Tumbes, not a beach town, but one with lots of plazas and monuments and mosaics and internet. After a morning of walking, and a fantastically cheap and tasty lunch, we decided to take a nap around 5 p.m....and woke up at 11! But that was perfect timing to go out for dinner (one expensive slice of pizza) and dancing. Though I cannot express how much I miss Francisco and Bernardo and the First Ave regulars because South Americans CAN'T DANCE! Pity, really, but good times. And this morning we walked to the last remaining mosaic tile statue and are heading for Ecuador this afternoon. First Cuenca, then Baños, then an Amazon tour in Tena! More details later.

Chao!

9 comments:

Katrina said...

I have been dragged into a photo shoot (with an American baby in my arms) in Shenyang, and been taken to get my picture taken at a photo shop three times now. In addition to that there's always the random photographs taken of me sneakily and some bold folks that just come up and point to their camera and smile with pleading puppy eyes.

This Thursday, however was the oddest of all when a guy at the mall cafe asked if he could take pictures of me EATING! Apparently he wanted proof that Americans actually eat with his mouth. I told him no, but he kept insisting to the point where I just wanted him to go away, so I agreed and gingerly took a bite of rice. What was even more annoying was that he then felt it necessary to show me each picture he took. The ones with me chewing, the ones with the chopsticks going into my mouth, and then even a few of me drinking. What he plans to do with such photographs, I don't even want to know!

Your turn. Details.

Joanne said...

Oh, Doll, could you find out where I can get copies of afore mentioned eating pics? M

Anonymous said...

Karla, I've actually been in Tena years ago when I went to Ecuador. It was the nearest town from where my aunt and uncle were stationed in the jungle. I'm sure it has changed a lot. They were stationed at Dos Rios right near there. I sure have enjoyed reading your blog. Andy blocked me out of reading his.
Jean Poppe

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that the dancing isn't as good as the latin dancing at First Ave!!! :) We for sure have to go out when we are both back in the U.S.! When do you come back?

Thank you for the comments on my blog! It always makes my day and I miss you so much!

~Melissa

Anonymous said...

Te felicito mucho, cuidate un monton y disfruta todo lo que ouedas.

Un abrazo

Katrina said...

I'm not in Hailaer anymore. The weather in Beijing has been in the 90's all week. With humidity. I'm burnt and sticky, but I think I finally won the warmer weather contest!

Special K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Special K said...

Yeah, you probably do. The jungle was HOT, though. All day I would just sweat and swat bugs for the 3-5 hour hikes before cooling off in waterfalls or swimming in the river and starting all over again to return to the cabins! The nights were chilly, though, as was seeing a rainstorm in the rain forest!

Anonymous said...

and how again, did you see that rainstorm that night in the jungle?
Did you make it back? I have your bag.chevre (spl?)