30 June 2008

Reuniting with Elizabeth

Saturday was spent waiting for buses and waiting on buses while traveling back to Guatemala. I had a lovely dinner with Elizabeth’s host family, which will also be my family when I get back. Quique (dad) and Jenny (mom) have a few others who are there learning English, as well as Julio who is a really quiet and nice guy doing something there, not sure what.
If you’re inclined to send me stuff, you now have a 2-week head start to get mail there. I’ll be gone by August 15th, and I don’t know how long it takes to arrive, but here’s the address just in case:

Familia Soto
20 Av. 1-16 Zona 3
Quetzaltenango
Guatemala C.A.

Sunday, Elizabeth and I left bright and early for Chichicastenango, an indigenous town famous for it’s Sunday market. A hustling, bustling blend of tourist vendors and fruit/ veggie/ livestock vendors abounded and bottlenecks led to some intense pushing matches to get to the next street over! We bought more than we should have, especially considering that we have two countries to go!
















We then bused to Guatemala City, arriving in time to check out the Museo del Ferrocarril—the Railroad Museum. Daddy, you would have loved it! In fact, I took a bunch of pictures thinking of you, and also because I had no idea what they were! I missed the overly-detailed explanations of what each little part of the railroad and yard does and how it all works and when it all started and where the last one was built, etc. I’ll wait for the picture tour later!










After a wonderful dinner, some investigations on bus routes and such, we settled in for a night in quite possible the grossest hotel I’ve ever stayed in. The sheets seemed clean, though the walls certainly weren’t, but after Eli’s comment that her friend had bedbugs, I had that mentally-induced itchy feeling all night! To make matters worse, we awoke to watch a cockroach scatter across the floor! Oh well, it only cost $4 after all.

No comments: